A self-motivated team player, with
good communication and interpersonal skills. Adaptable and able to think
creatively particularly under pressure, I have established a reputation
as a problem-solver with a 'can-do' approach, and the ability to rise to
June 2004 - October 2005
Valspar (UK) Corporation Deeside, Flintshire
QC Chemist/QC Supervisor
Reporting to QA Manager
- Transferred multi-document Quality
Procedures Manual to single-document style with capability for HTML access, to enable fast updating, and reduced reliance on paperwork.
Uniform format reduces chances of errors, and makes it more likely that
the procedures manual will be used as a resource.
- Deputised for QA Manager as required.
Jan 2002 - June 2004
Works Chemist/QC Manager
- Day to day management of QC function
– supervising/training one assistant
- Updated ISO manual to comply with new
- ntroduced use of SPC for process improvement
- Introduced use of PC in QC department
to track yield variations, etc (preliminary to introducing PC as storage
medium for all QC data for SPC, etc purposes, pursuant to ISO requirements)
- Specified requirements for Main Office
PC Network (and act as MIS manager/technician as required), install Network
(hardware and software), and continue to provide support for hardware/software
and users as required by security/business, and users
- Reformulation, and redesign of processes
of products to ease manufacturing bottlenecks, etc.
- Supplement QC technician in times of
heavy demand, and advise on technical aspects of products to end-use customers
(retail shop on-site)
- Deputise for Technical Director in case
of need (holiday, illness, etc.)
Valspar (UK) Corporation
(Formerly Dexter Packaging Products)
- Improved Raw Material costs $2.5M (~5%)
by introduction of alternative suppliers/sources and in-house resin production
(awarded President’s Award for Excellence 1995 as a result).
- Improved Deeside off-spec material/product
stocked from peak of $250,000 to $0 by programme of controlled re-work within
- Improved production of off-specification
material from 2.5% to <0.5% by introduction of in-process controls and improved
- Increased Resin plant capacity by 50%
and Paint plant capacity by 15% by introduction of process modifications
reducing cycle time and optimising yields.
- Acted as on-site ‘IT expert’ for routine
troubleshooting/advice – specified and implemented Labelling system for
products, complying with legal requirements throughout Europe. Implemented
and maintained CHIP-compliant database for labelling and MSDS preparation.
Specified and administered Laboratory NetWare network prior to implementation
of site-wide LAN. Competent/expert user of variety of software including
MS Office suite, Oracle, Crystal Reports, DataEase.
- Improved Singapore off-spec material/product
stocked from peak of $400,000 to $50,000 over 3 years by controlled work-off
both in Singapore and Deeside. Reduced production of off-specification water-based
material from >35% to <2% by introduction of in-process controls and improved
manufacturing processes and procedures, spent approx. 6 months total in
Singapore during this period.
- Improved Tournus (France) Resin Plant
cycle times and off-specification production significantly by re-iterative
fault-finding on resin plant, and optimising processes under severe constraints
of system software and hardware. Managed facility on departure of
incumbent until replacement could be found (4 months) – continued to provide
support on ad-hoc basis, and holiday cover for new manager.
- On request of South Africa JV, visited
to assess production of materials locally, to identify source of major problem
– identified by SPC as supplier (toll) manufacturing problem, reducing significantly
the company’s liabilities.
- Introduced to Deeside facility a number
of new (Valspar and Dexter) product technologies, with 100% FTM, both in
resin and paint plant, and contributed to significant reduction in manufacturing
costs by optimising methodologies.
Have worked for short periods in the following countries:-
USA, Norway, France, South Africa, Singapore.
R & D Senior Chemist.
- Developed new low toxicity version of
coal tar/polyurethane waterproofing membrane, and took through project through
to BBA approval.
- Developed novel anti-slump formulation
for two-pack polyurethane waterproofing membrane for vertical application.
- Developed lower toxicity single-pack
polyurethane primer for concrete, enabling wider end-user application, in
association with Supplier.
ICI Paints Division
Worked in a number of areas:-
- Automotive refinish - alkyd, 2-pack,
- Automotive OEM, electrocoat, primer/surfacer and topcoat
- Aircraft – developing replacement for –NCO coatings
- High solids technologies
- Polymer research – NAD, Microgel, Low MW resin technologies.